Monday, September 10, 2012

Escape from Alcatraz triathlon

At the end of the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon is the infamous sand ladder - 400 steps straight up from the beach to the bluffs overlooking the ocean.  After swimming one and a half miles from Alcatraz, participants bike 18 miles, then run 8 miles, only to be greeted by steps so steep there is a hand rope to hold onto.  I hiked up the sand ladder for some photos, and got passed by an extremely enthusiastic competitor who appeared to be having the time of his life, calling out "Great day!" to me as he went by.  I have no excuse for him passing me.  I was carrying camera gear, but I hadn't been putting my body through unimaginable torture all morning.  I'm pretty sure I never will.  Oh well. 
It was absolutely gorgeous out, not too shabby a way to spend my day.  



No comments:

Post a Comment